But on the model horse front, things have been quite slow. I still haven't found my apoxie, and without that, I can't really do anything I want. No sculpting, repositioning or projects. And when I have nothing to reposition, it usually means that I have nothing to then paint. But this past weekend, I was beyond bored. So I started thinking of something that I could do that would eat up a large portion of the weekend. So I decided I was going to try pasteling again. And of course I decided that I had to try pasteling a bay. This is something that I have been struggling with for some time now. Most of the time I lose patience, other times the horse just looks horrible so I stop.
I prepped and primed a horse and got started. I decided to use a G4 Vaulting horse, I have a couple of them and the one I picked was really ugly. I spent 2 days working on him. He's better then I thought he would be, but not something that I would ever show or sell. He will most likely be stripped and done again. I had decided from the start that he was going to be a bright bay with 4 high socks and a big blaze, I wanted him to be a Clydesdale, since I really like draft horses and high socks. Here are a couple pics of him. He is still not finished, he won't ever be finished, but at least it's a start.
I use the rubbing alcohol method, but instead of a q-tip, I use a very fine paint brush. The dapples looked a lot finer and more in scale for stablemates. I am very excited about this. I am going to do another one this coming weekend.
Here are some pics.
The left pic shows the first horse I did using q-tips, the right pic shows the horse I did using the paint brush. The dapples are much smaller and I can make them into different shapes, not just round. The bottom pic shows the first and second methods next to each other, so you can really see the difference.