Towards the end of January, I decided to take a leave of absence from work. Our location is going through a remodel, so it was perfect timing for me to take some much needed time to clear my head and deal with things that have been piling up in the background. I don't go back until March so I have some more time to figure things out.
I haven't really been doing much in the studio. I got the rest of the model horse stuff out of my bedroom and into the studio. Currently everything is still in boxes and bags waiting to be organized into their respective places. I'm hoping to get that part done this weekend and part of early next week. On the model front it's kinda been the same old. I got in more horses, both painted and not. I have been working on a few horses on the random nights that I have the energy to do something, which hasn't been many. National Model Painting Month started a little over a week ago and while I have paint on my horse and he is looking really nice, I have no desire to do anything with him at the moment. It's ok because I still have a couple more weeks to work on him. I have do some of the detail work on him and see where I am with him. He really doesn't need much else from and painting stand point.
In my adventures to practice for this month, I was able to turn out a few really nice horses. A ground Effects turned into a super nice bay that I was expecting, so he wasn't prepped perfectly so he has a few bumps and marks, but I'm hoping that tack will cover it because I'm pretty sure he will be my permanent performance horse. He will have a jumper and a cross country jump and I think it will look awesome. I decided that I wasn't going to start working on the jump and tack until after my official Feb horse is finished. The 2 chestnut drafters turned out rather nice, both will get detail work and be added to the show group. The windswept that started as a bay leopard appaloosa was stripped and became a lovely bay Roan. It was my first roan and I am really happy with him, like that others he still needs details and some corn spots to really make him pop. There are a few other horses that I have been working on but they are still in various stages so they will most likely get their own post later.
Things have been kinda rough personally, so that makes for little time in the studio. I was hoping to get something done last night and have some pictures for today but I wasn't feeling it and did something else. I practiced a buckskin which turned into a nice bright chestnut. I played around with the paint and painted over the chestnut part but I wasn't planning on keeping him anyways.
Until next time,
Happy National Model Painting Month!